RE: dock design

Jebby:

First things, first! Go back to high school and freshen up your math and
science skills.  Then enroll in an ABET-accredited civil or
architectural engineering degree program, and take all of the available
electives in structural analysis and design.  If you intend to
eventually seek professional licensure, you should plan to stay on for a
masters degree in engineering.  Be sure to take the engineering
fundamentals (a.k.a., EIT) exam while you are still on campus.  Then
find an entry level engineering position with an established structural
engineering firm.  Over the next four years (or two years, in CA), learn
as much as you can about your new profession of structural engineering.
Then take the principles and practice (a.k.a., PE) engineering exam.
Better yet, take the SE-I and SE-II exams.

Now, you should finally be ready to design a permanent structure.  Of
course, along the way, you will undoubtedly have come to understand that
permanent usually means something on the order of 50 years or so,
depending on a great number of uncontrollable variables.  If you want to
design something that is truly permanent, I second Christopher Wright's
recommendation:  solid granite.  After all, the Egyptians and Romans
have demonstrated that lesser materials, like limestone and sandstone,
are only reliable for a few hundred years.

Of course, if all of the above advice seems entirely to time-consuming
and costly, you might simply consider using duct tape.  It is
indisputably permanent ... at least on the sticky side.

Regards,

Stan Caldwell
Permanently in Dallas
(where the NHL resumes tonight)

Structural engineering is the art of molding materials
we don't wholly understand, into shapes we can't fully
analyze, so as to withstand forces we can't really assess,
in such a way that the community at large has no reason
to suspect the extent of our ignorance.   ...Jim Amrhein