RE: 2x T&G decking

The UCBC has some diaphragm values for historic buildings, but it’s something like 100 plf or something (don’t have my copy handy) If you can install the decking at a 45 degrees in plan to the joists then you could use/argue for a 300 or 600 plf allowable diaphragm shears like a diagonally sheathed wall.

-gm

-----Original Message-----
From: Eli Grassley [mailto:elig(--nospam--at)psm-engineers.com]
Sent: Wednesday, October 05, 2005 2:20 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: 2x T&G decking

I have a small residential job where the owner wants to use 2x6 T&G floor decking – for looks basically – instead of normal plywood.  I know that the diaphragm shear values for this type of construction is very low, but it can’t be zero.  Does anyone have any references or published values that I could shake a pencil at?  Does the IBC or NDS forbid this kind of a diaphragm in any of their language?

Using plywood at all would basically kill the concept due to costs, so any shear values at all would be helpful.

Thanks for any help

Eli S. Grassley, PE