From: Eli Grassley [mailto:elig(--nospam--at)psm-engineers.com]
Sent: Wednesday, October 05, 2005 14:20
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: 2x T&G decking

I have a small residential job where the owner wants to use 2x6 T&G floor decking – for looks basically – instead of normal plywood.  I know that the diaphragm shear values for this type of construction is very low, but it can’t be zero.  Does anyone have any references or published values that I could shake a pencil at?  Does the IBC or NDS forbid this kind of a diaphragm in any of their language?

Using plywood at all would basically kill the concept due to costs, so any shear values at all would be helpful.

Thanks for any help

Eli S. Grassley, PE