Sent: Thursday, October 06, 2005 2:09 PM
Subject: RE: Gypsum board for bracing in 03 IBC Seismic Design Category D

Dan Morrow said

...I personally don't believe in gypboard shearwalls for seismic (cyclic)
loads as it seems like after 1 or 2 cycles, the gyp at the nails or
screws is crumbled and offers no resistance.

Dan:
That is like saying I don't believe in wood because steel is stronger.

Design loads and capacities are adjusted for gypsum wall board behavior. A resulting design may be better than a plywood design. (you are not being gypped).

The gypsum board is more resistant than that allowed for cyclic loading and therefore opined as a weak wall. It is overlooked as an UNINTENDED SHEAR WALL. End bearing, due to prejudicially unintended overturning can over load supports. ie joists

Using gypsum wall board may be a little "green" alternative.

David Merrick, SE
Sacramento, CA