Re: Gypsum board for bracing in 03 IBC Seismic Design Category D

Robert,

A 0.5% drift is twice of the code requirement (0.25%).  It is a lot - 1/2" for a 8' wall, imagine a 1"-amplitude movement of your floor.

During the Northridge earthquake, my house was moving with great amplitude. I remember waking up at 4:30 AM, analyzing - for few seconds - the magnitude of movement, and, based upon what I knew - expecting the whole thing to come down pretty quickly.  In the morning, when I checked, there were no cracks in the drywall and stucco.

I went to the SF valley for inspection the same afternoon, and was on those for several years.  I very rarely saw any signs of failure (cracking, etc.) in the drywall-only finishes on solid portions of the walls with reasonable proportions (L/H>0.75).

Based upon my own observations after several good-size quakes, drywall appears to actually be a pretty good structural stuff.  I mean, it is good to have it's resistance mostly neglected in our structural analysis :).

Steve Gordin SE
Irvine CA

However,