Sent: Thursday, October 06, 2005 7:52 PM
Subject: Re: Gypsum board for bracing in 03 IBC Seismic Design Category D

Having tested a great number GWB "shear walls", I can tell you they have a fair amount of strength (SLS of about 150 plf) BUT if the drift goes beyond  ~.5% the lateral strength falls off VERY quickly.

SO as long as the GWB shear walls are not "over deflected" they'll be fine.  It's when they're expected to work w/ & see the same drift as plywood shearwalls that problems develop.

IMO an all GWB system can work if one designs for proper drift limits.

cheers
Bob