RE: Coefficient of thermal expansion - steel

Over a range of temperature, the CTE is the slope of secant line of the
temperature vs length plot for a temperature range under consideration.
Small enough variation in expansion response or in temperature range
considered, it becomes the tangent line too. Or it can be a precise CTE at
one temperature.

Unless your buildings somehow have jet engines, I'm not sure you need more
than one room temperature value - like 6.5e-6/F. However, stainless steel
is substantially higher - 9.2e-6/F for SS304 around room temperature.

Chuck Ritter
JAR Associates, Inc
401-294-4589
401-294-3826 fax