RE: Dynamic analysis of Table top foundation

OK, I'll bite. ANSYS is a Swiss Army Knife-type general purpose program. If
you can't find a purpose-built alternative you can use it for a wide range
of applications.

You can find an account of using ANSYS for a compressor foundation here:

http://engineering.benabraham.com/html/compressor_foundation_dynamics.html

LS-DYNA is a whole other story. Even if the 600hz frequencies extracted in
the above link were significant, thats really slow for DYNA. You can make
DYNA do quasi-static problems (not that 600hz is), but it is a real fight
to get a set of initial conditions that don't lead to silly answers. With
an explicit dynamics program, you can almost always get an answer, but you
can't always get a sensible one. STRUDL,  SAP,  ANSYS, NISA , STAAD and
other implicit FEA solvers work similar to one another. But the tricks and
techniques that are transferable between them are not necessarily
transferable to explicit solvers like LS-DYNA and ABAQUS Explicit.

       Chuck Ritter
      JAR Associates, Inc