RE: Floor Finish - Garbage Transfer Facility

You should not make any assumptions about the source of the deterioration or make recommendations for repairs until you have cores taken for petrographic analysis, otherwise you're just flying blind.

________________________________

From: M. David Finley, P.E., P.A. [mailto:davidfinley(--nospam--at)bizsea.rr.com]
Sent: Wed 10/19/2005 7:16 PM
To: Seaint(--nospam--at)Seaint.Org
Subject: Floor Finish - Garbage Transfer Facility

I was looking at a garbage transfer facility earlier today and noticed pretty significant deterioration of the concrete floor.  The facility manager said he thinks the damage is from chemicals in the garbage, not the equipment being used.  The deterioration appears to be fairly consistent, even near the trench drains.  Since the equipment does not operate near the drains, it seems the manager may be correct..

With that in mind, can anyone offer a suggestion for a floor hardener and/or treatment for a NEW facility?  It can't be too slick a finish or else the wheeled equipment will not be able to operate very well.

And while I'm asking, the facilities I've seen all have a steel armor plate on the pushwalls.  Are any other types of material being used on pushwalls?  Perhaps HDPE or something similar?

TIA,

David Finley
M. David Finley, P.E., P.A.
2086 SW Main Boulevard - Suite 111