From: Chance, Acie [mailto:AChance(--nospam--at)lacsd.org]
Sent: Thursday, October 20, 2005 10:40 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: Floor Finish - Garbage Transfer Facility

David

     We have several transfer and sorting facilities and all the push walls
have steel plates.  These areas get abused a lot.  For the floors we specify
high strength, dense concrete knowing we will be making repairs down the
line.  It looks like most of the floor wear comes from trash being trapped
between the hard rubber pad under the bucket on the front end loader and the
concrete floor.  We have not had good luck with any of the hardeners we have
tried.

Acie Chance

pretty significant deterioration of the concrete floor.  The facility
manager said he thinks the damage is from chemicals in the garbage, not the
equipment being used.  The deterioration appears to be fairly consistent,
even near the trench drains.  Since the equipment does not operate near the
drains, it seems the manager may be correct..

> With that in mind, can anyone offer a suggestion for a floor hardener
and/or treatment for a NEW facility?  It can't be too slick a finish or else
the wheeled equipment will not be able to operate very well.

> And while I'm asking, the facilities I've seen all have a steel armor
plate on the pushwalls.  Are any other types of material being used on
pushwalls?  Perhaps HDPE or something similar?