RE: Design of Glass as a Shear Wall

Well now that's interesting...I was reviewing plans for a small residential
solarium, and the manufacturer submitted calcs that appeared to be using
glass as in shear. Granted the loads were minimal, but I couldn't approve
the system without appropriate testing. I called the manufacturer and asked
him about it, and sure enough, they had it tested, and were using the glass
to resist lateral forces!

Okay. Send me the test data (kinda hard just to take someone's word on
this). Got the data, and yes, the glass was part of a lateral resisting
system. They tested to the appropriate ASTM standard, with cyclical loading,
and, with safety factors applied, it worked! Cool.

Really though, I wonder just how much the glass was contributing, as the
test involved the "assembly" (necessarily--if they just tested a piece of
glass, there would be issues about attachment, etc.). My guess is that the
frame itself (using self tapping screws) provided some capacity.

So, it's not such a stretch anymore...though I might have a problem
approving the plan for larger structures or commercial applications.

Paul Skidmore

City of Mercer Island
206-236-7386