Control Joints in a Mat Foundation

I am working on a project which consists of a single story wood framed building sitting on a mat foundation. The mat is 16” thick.

A field question has come up regarding control joints. In a typical slab-on-grade, I specify cuts one third the slab thickness spaced no more that 3T feet where “T” is the slab thickness in inches. These recommendations don’t make a lot of sense for a 16” “slab”.

What would be a more appropriate guideline for this situation?

TIA,

T. William (Bill) Allen, S.E.

ALLEN DESIGNS

Consulting Structural Engineers