From: "Bill Allen" <T.W.Allen(--nospam--at)cox.net>
To: <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
Subject: Control Joints in a Mat Foundation
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2005 12:28:22 -0700

I am working on a project which consists of a single story wood framed
building sitting on a mat foundation. The mat is 16" thick.

A field question has come up regarding control joints. In a typical
slab-on-grade, I specify cuts one third the slab thickness spaced no more
that 3T feet where "T" is the slab thickness in inches. These
recommendations don't make a lot of sense for a 16" "slab".

What would be a more appropriate guideline for this situation?

TIA,

T. William (Bill) Allen, S.E.

ALLEN DESIGNS <http://www.AllenDesigns.com>

Consulting Structural Engineers