RE: Control Joints in a Mat Foundation

I agree with Harold - I prefer to use a little more steel and no
movement joints in structural mats and slabs.  I use control joints
mainly for lightly reinforced nonstructural slabs on grade (such as
walkways and parking lots).  I also use them in long cantilevered
retaining walls (without two way structural action).

William C. Sherman, PE
(Bill Sherman)
CDM, Denver, CO
Phone: 303-298-1311