Re: Beam - Moment Ratio

This sections is a strong column-weak beam check.  I'd say they are considering
Vb*db as being related to the possible moment capacity of the beam.  In the
1997 AISC Seismic Provisions (the only one i can find at the moment), this has
been revised to sum(Mpc)/sum(Mpb) where sum(Mpc) is as before and sum(Mpb) has
changed to sum(1.1RyMp + Mv) where Mv is the additional moment due to shear
amplification from the location of the plastic hinge to the column centerline.

Gary Grinstead
www.structuralstuff.com