From: Jnapd(--nospam--at)aol.com
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Sent: Tuesday, November 01, 2005 12:22 PM
Subject: Re: California contract law

Steve:

I disagree on this one.

The proposal is to inform the client which registered engineer is will be signing the plans and calculations.  I do not see anything in the law that indicates that the registered engineer has to produce or sign the proposal.

Joe Venuti
Johnson & Nielsen Associates
Palm Springs, CA
Joe,

This is not about a proposal, but about a contract; IMO, these two are quite different.

The law is specific: "Before the Professional Engineer or Professional Land Surveyor begins work, they [PE-SG] need to sign a written contract with their client, or his or her representative. ...The written contract must include, but not be limited to, all of the following:... 3. The name, address, and license or certificate number of the Professional Engineer..."

From the horse's mouth (California Business and Professions Code) this sounds like "6749. (a) A professional engineer shall use a written contract when contracting to provide professional engineering services to a client pursuant to this chapter. The written contract shall be executed by the professional engineer and the client, or his or her [client's, not PE's-SG] representative..."