From: Scott Maxwell [mailto:smaxwell(--nospam--at)engin.umich.edu]
Sent: Thursday, November 03, 2005 3:52 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: Exam de-briefing

The "long time" to grade the "essay" type SE exams (NCEES Struct II and
Washington Struct III and I would assume the new Calfornia 8 hour exam,
as
well as the old 16 hour Western States exam as well as the old "short
answer essay" problems that used to be on the PE level exam) makes sense
to me.  When the problem is an "essay" type (i.e. a written out
answer/calculation with partial credit), it make perfect sense that it
could take 13 weeks (or more) to grade such exams.

It does not make sense, however, that it takes them 13 weeks to grade
100%
multiple guess exams that can easily be scored by a "scantron" machine
in
less than a day.  I understand that it takes some time to "correlate"
the
data and makes sure that the problems are valid (they say in the
instructions that they may "eliminate" problems that cause "problems"
when
they grade the exams)...but 3 to 4 months?  That is a bit much.  Heck,
they can certify election results in a couple of weeks but it takes
several months to grade/score some scantron exams.  Kind of seems odd
that
they are willing to be THAT careful with grading the exams, but feel
fine
"rushing" such a central part of our democratic society (i.e. voting).

But, there is not really anything that can be done about it.  It will
take
as long as it takes and all I (we) can do is sit back and wait.  Oh,
well.

Scott
Adrian, MI