RE: Base isolation for homes?

Base isolation for homes is simple.  Just don’t install the anchor bolts.

From: Robert Kazanjy [mailto:rkazanjy(--nospam--at)gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, November 03, 2005 7:17 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: Base isolation for homes?

Ralph-

An SE buddy of mine & I toyed with the idea a number of years ago when he was working on his Phd.

I was interested & excited about but his opinon was it would never fly in the general residential market because of cost.

I did an informal market survey on cost vs performance..........he was right, the typical home buyer is TOTALLY cost driven & will pay very little premium for  increased performance.  The premium was so small that very little extra could be built into the home.  :(

cheers
Bob