From: Paul Feather [mailto:pfeather(--nospam--at)SE-Solutions.net]
Sent: Friday, November 04, 2005 9:29 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: journalist query - factors of safety

<snip>

Sorry for the long post.

Paul Feather PE, SE
www.SE-Solutions.net
pfeather(--nospam--at)SE-Solutions.net

	----- Original Message -----
	From: John McQuaid <mailto:John.McQuaid(--nospam--at)newhouse.com>
	To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
	Sent: Friday, November 04, 2005 7:33 AM
	Subject: journalist query - factors of safety

	Greetings. I'm trying to learn about factors of safety in
general terms. In levees/floodwalls, documents show the standard FOS to
be 1.3. We've had some engineers saying this was too low, at least for
New Orleans, given the extreme risks involved with a breach during a
hurricane. But I am trying to set this issue in context. What are
typical safety factors for other kinds of structures - dams, highway
overpasses, hospital buildings, etc. Are they prescribed by code or
statute in some cases, or by some other means? How are extreme risks,
loss of life, property, etc. taken into account? I won't publish
comments generated on this list. Just seeking input/perspective at this
point.

	Thanks,

	John McQuaid

	The Times Picayune, New Orleans