From: Khashayar (Casey) Hemmatyar [mailto:khemmatyar(--nospam--at)gmail.com]
Sent: Friday, November 04, 2005 3:01 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: re: journalist query - factors of safety

Based on ACSE 7-02 a minimum safety factor of 1.67 (1/0.6) has to be achieved:

ACSE 7-02;

Section 2.4.1 Basic Load Combinations. (ASD)

7.             0.6D + W + H

8.             0.6D + 0.7 E + H

H = load due to lateral earth pressure, ground water

pressure, or pressure of bulk materials;

Regards

Khashayar (Casey) Hemmatyar, PE

California