Re: Lateral Load Due to Foot-Traffic

Nels,

        There may be something in one of your codes specifying this but someone else will have to provide this information for you.

        As a scientific method of estimating this force I would consider the "people" as equivalent to fluid in a pipe elbow.  The scientific formula would be a variation of Newton's second law.
Instead of
F = M*a,
or
F = M*(dv/dt)

we would have

F = v*(dM/dt)
or
F = v*Q

where
F = force of people coming (decelerating) AND going (accelerating).
v = speed people are moving.
Q = Mass of people per second passing any given point.

        What numbers to use for v and Q are anybody's guess.  My guess would be five feet per second (about 3.3 miles per hour) and thirty psf times the five feet used previously for v, or 5*30 = 150 pounds per foot of corridor width.  (I chose 30 psf because I don't think people could be packed in at 100 psf and walking 5 ft/sec both at the same time.)  This would give

F = 5*150/32.2 = 23.3 pounds per foot of corridor width
or
F = 23.3*6 = 140 pounds in each direction. <=====

        I think I'd factor this up if it were me.  1,000 pounds seems about right!

        Perhaps Scott Maxwell will be so kind as to review and comment on my math.

Regards,

H. Daryl Richardson

.