Re: Lateral Load Due to Foot-Traffic

I have the feeling that lateral loads due to wind and seismic loading will be
relatively insignificant compared during emergency exiting with people
turning the corner.  Any ideas on how to estimate or calculate the
appropriate lateral load?

Energy transfer to change the velocity (direction) of the person
rounding the corner will get you a rough number.  I'd probably
calc it for a 250# person cornering around 2-3 mph, then factor
it up 50-100%.

I've seen students here turn corners by hanging onto the railing
and levering their weight around the corner as they jog down the
stairs.  You could consider that loading as well/instead.

Charley

--
Charles Hamilton, PhD EIT               PGR