From: Scott Maxwell [mailto:smaxwell(--nospam--at)engin.umich.edu]
Sent: Wednesday, November 16, 2005 6:38 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: ibc adoption

Paul,

A question that I would ask is did anyone at this seminar clearly indicate
whether they were talking about California adopting a version of the IBC
or just talking about the IBC process of publishing the final version of
the 2006 IBC code (i.e. has nothing to do with California specifically)?
My understanding is that CA will not change until the state
agency/commission votes/decides officially to make the change.  Now, as I
understand it, the INTENT is for CA to go to the IBC code and in theory to
do it when the 2006 IBC is "out there", but I don't believe that the final
decision has been made as of yet.  I _DO_ know that based upon the timing
of the IBC process, it potentially makes more sense that they were just
talking about the IBC process wrapping up the approval/publication of the
2006 IBC code.  The Ibc process is in its final stages for the 2006 IBC
code.  There will be one more "round" of hearings in the spring with the
final vote of the ICC members and the final release/publication of the
2006 IBC code by mid-year.  Once that happens, then jurisdictions (states,
cities, counties, etc) will then start the process of adopting it for use.
I know that Michigan usually lags by about a year or two in terms of
adopting the IBC code for use here relative to the time that it was
published.  For example, the 2003 IBC was adopted a little over a year
ago, if I recall correctly.

Besides, I will offer that even if they are talking about the CA process
and not just the IBC process, then you can still get your hands on the
VAST majority of what will comprise the 2006 IBC now.  Since the IBC code
HEAVILY relies on referencing various "material" standards (at least for
the structural sections, you can go get those referenced material
standards and be long way towards what most of the structural provisions
in the IBC will be.  Most of the material standards that the 2006 IBC will
adopt by reference are currently available or will be shortly.  I know
that ACI 318-05, the 2005 MSJC (aka masonry code or ACI 530-05), and the
2005 NDS are already available as I already have them.  ASCE 7-05
(which is technically ASCE 7-05 plus Supplement No 1) will be available
anytime (I believe ASCE's website officially says something like Nov
20th).  I believe the AISC's new specs are already available for free
download (goto http://www.aisc.org/2005spec to get the new 2005 ASD/LRFD
spec...I don't believe the 2005 Seismic specs have been fully approved as
of yet [could not find them on the website] but could be wrong) but will
also be in new Manual that will be release in December.  All of these
publications will get you the overwhelming majority of what the structural
provisions will be in the 2006 IBC, but not all of them.

HTH,

Scott
Adrian, MI