half height steel nuts

Listers –

I am trying to research design capacities for some half-height “jamb nuts” for use with connecting some A36 threaded rods in tension.  I would assume that you could conservatively take 1/2 the allowable tensile strength in the threaded rod as the half-height nut capacity (because obviously a standard height nut can develop the full rod capacity).

Can anyone point to a text resource that might give me some nut capacity formulas or, really just something to back up my simple argument.

thank you

Eli S. Grassley, PE

PSM Engineers