Sent: Thursday, November 17, 2005 9:19 PM
Subject: Re: basement sealant (Scott Haan)

Simon-
Xypex  is not really a coating & thus it can't "delaminate". It doesn't sound like you've ever used it.
Chuck Utzman, P.E.

SIMON BATCHELOR wrote:
Hi Scott,
I have been dealing with moisture ingress in below grade areas for over twenty five years both in the states and in Europe.
In my experience it is a relatively simple procedure to stop moisture entering a substrate. However, any system is only as good as the crew carrying out the work and without the correct preparation the job is doomed to failure!
There are several products on the market which work well over the long term. Xypex is a cementisious coating which like a lot of products, without the correct preparation and bonding agent, will delaminate when  subjected to Hydrostatic pressure and ground salts, and like any waterproofing system ground movement is not recommended....