Bam-Iran Renewal Seminar on Dec 1, 3:30-5:00 Berkeley Campus

Dear Seaint member:  If you are interested in reconstruction of Bam-Iran, this Thursday, Dec 1, 3:30-5:00, I will give a Seminar in Sibley Auditorium of US Berkeley on : "RENEWAL OF BAM-IRAN DESTROYED DURING THE 2003 EARTHQUAKE" . The Seminar announcement and a map of venue attached to it is at my home page: http://www.ce.berkeley.edu/~astaneh

For the last 2 years, I have been studying and documenting how Bam is being renewed and at this seminar I will summarize my findings. Please notice that I am using the word "renewal" instead of "reconstruction" in the title of my work and that is intentional. From what I have learned in this case, it is not just buildings and houses destroyed by the earthquake that are being reconstructed in Bam, but, the main goal is to renew the lives of Bam residents who survived the devastating quake. Building houses is just one part of renewal of lives in the devastated areas. The seminar also includes discussion of useful lessons learned from the Bam renewal efforts that can be applied to renewal of the areas devastated by the Sumatra Tsunami, Katrina Hurricane and Pakistan Earthquake.

You are cordially invited to the seminar and I appreciate it very much if you could please forward this announcement to those who might be also interested in this topic.

Best wishes and thank you.

Abolhassan ASTANEH-ASL, Ph.D., P.E., Professor
781 Davis Hall, University of California
Berkeley, CA 94720-1710
Phone: (510) 642-4528, Fax: (925) 946-0903
Web: www.ce.berkeley.edu/~astaneh,  E-mail: astaneh(--nospam--at)ce.berkeley.edu