From: Mark Remmetter [mailto:MarkR(--nospam--at)sai-engineers.com]
Sent: Wednesday, November 30, 2005 6:26 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: Conc. Tilt-up w/ crane loads

Jason,

It sounds like you intend to attach the crane support columns and the
crane rails directly to the tilt-up panels for lateral support.
Generally, it is best not to support the crane from the wall panels
since the panels tend to bow in and out not only from wind, but also
from temperature variation between the inside and outside face.  This
movement can cause problems with the crane alignment, and cause
maintenance problems.

We normally brace our cranes using the building roof diaphragm to resist
lateral forces for the crane trolley and add vertical cross bracing
between the crane columns and foundations to resist the longitudinal
loads.  As others have mentioned, the magnitude of these loads can be
calculated from a variety of sources.  Some special consideration for
the roof joist to column and girder/beam to column connection is
required to transfer the crane loads into the diaphragm.  For cranes
larger then 10 ton capacity we usually add horizontal bracing in the
roof  to resist the crane lateral forces.

Mark