From: Burke Maureen J Ctr AEDC/ATA [mailto:Maureen.Burke(--nospam--at)arnold.af.mil]
Sent: Wednesday, November 30, 2005 12:06 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: ASCE Table 1-1 Classification of Buidlings

Does anyone have experience with determining the Category factors in Table 1-1 of ASCE 7-02?  I am trying to determine if a structure that serves an industrial area qualifies as a Category IV type: “buildings and other structures having critical national defense functions.”  The functions at an AF Base may be considered critical, but who determines that?    It looks to me like the nature of occupancy is what needs to be considered.  If the structure is independent of a building and will not cause human injury/loss of life, does it need to be designed in accordance with the categories in this table?

Thanks in advance,

Maureen Burke, PE