From: Burke Maureen J Ctr AEDC/ATA <Maureen.Burke(--nospam--at)arnold.af.mil>
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: ASCE Table 1-1 Classification of Buidlings
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2005 17:06:27 -0000 <Maureen.Burke(--nospam--at)arnold.af.mil>

Does anyone have experience with determining the Category factors in Table
1-1 of ASCE 7-02?  I am trying to determine if a structure that serves an
industrial area qualifies as a Category IV type: "buildings and other
structures having critical national defense functions." The functions at an
AF Base may be considered critical, but who determines that?    It looks to
me like the nature of occupancy is what needs to be considered.  If the
structure is independent of a building and will not cause human injury/loss
of life, does it need to be designed in accordance with the categories in
this table?

Thanks in advance,

Maureen Burke, PE