RE: interesting article in today's LA Times

Thor's response helped explain why an "architect" in Japan was doing the
structural calculations, but I agree with you that it is misleading to
imply that building inspectors are somehow responsible for design
review.

But this brings up a concern I have with structural engineering in the
U.S. - there is no standard that requires structural designs to be
independently checked.  From what I have seen, many structural firms do
not routinely do design checking.  (A PE may review the design drawings
but the calculations are not checked in any detail, unless the drawings
indicate a gross error.)

I have been involved in checking and having my designs checked for many
years, and I find that most structural designs contain design errors.
This is particularly true where seismic design and detailing is
required.  I feel that our own standards need to be improved in this
area.

William C. Sherman, PE
(Bill Sherman)
CDM, Denver, CO