RE: interesting article in today's LA Times

My understanding of some of the European systems are:

Germany - Federally licensed independent "proof engineers" are retained
by municipalities to assure that the design complies with all building
code regulations. Proof reports are required at each permitting stage of
the project. For complex structures the review includes detailed checks
of the calcs, drawings and any temporary construction supports required.

Belgium - A nonprofit group organized like a consulting engineering firm
which represents and is supported by insurance companies' reviews
designs which are submitted to an insurance company. The review must be
completed before the building is underwritten. Differences of opinions
between the reviewers and the designers are arbitrated by a technical
board of university professors.

France - Similar to Belgium.

If any List members from Europe know otherwise, please let me know.

Matthew Stuart
Structural Department
Manalapan
Extension 1283