Re: Architect cheating on structural calculations - where's the building depa...

In a message dated 12/6/2005 5:43:00 PM Pacific Standard Time, pfeather(--nospam--at)SE-Solutions.net writes:
I do not agree with you.  The EOR is the only person who should be responsible, plan check should be as simple as looking to see that the basic provisions of the code are being addressed.  Plan checkers are not there to catch your errors, and they are not a peer review.  Obtaining a permit and plan check approval does not mean the design is right or appropriate, only that in someone's opinion it seems to meet minimum code requirements.

I am not going to descend into plan check bashing, but if you expect plan check to find your errors you are in for a rude awakening.

Paul Feather PE, SE
I agree, it is the EOR's responsilbilty. But if the City (like San Marino, CA) farms the structural planchecking out to a private firm (licensed engineers) and they just "rubber-stamp" the submittal, that licensed engineer should be "punished" too. (Especially for using the excuse that the City does not pay enough to do the job!!)

Antonio S. Luisoni  PE,SE