Re: Bamboo Reinforcement (was Re: Concrete floor on wood trusses)

Bill, thanks for the heads-up on bamboo reinforcement, although I have no present plans to use it.  :)
Ralph

In a message dated 12/6/05 10:04:31 PM, bcainse(--nospam--at)aol.com writes:

 Ralph & List-
For historical interest, Francis E. Brink and Paul J. Rush of the U.S. Naval Civil Engineering Laboratory in Port Hueneme, California developed the document on bamboo reinforcing at the link below. It is dated February 1966. It even describes shear reinforcing but YMMV <grin>. It would be interesting to know what ductility such construction possessed.

Disclaimer: I make no recommendations on the use of or not using bamboo reinforcing.

www.romanconcrete.com/docs/bamboo1966/ BambooReinforcedConcreteFeb1966.htm

Bill Cain, S.E.
Berkeley CA

-----Original Message-----
From: Rhkratzse(--nospam--at)aol.com
To: mailbox(--nospam--at)sgeconsulting.com; seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Sent: Tue, 6 Dec 2005 20:58:52 EST
Subject: Re: Concrete floor on wood trusses

You know, a lot of this ping-ponging messages back and forth could be avoided if the original questioner gave just a bit more information about their situation.  The question mentioned "a concrete floor slab poured on wood trusses," so I pictured sort of composite concrete-wood T-beam construction, which is obviously absurd and illegal.  (Or maybe it reminded me of Bucky Fuller's suggestion to reinforce concrete with bamboo for low cost housing in tropical areas.)  If the question had mentioned concrete topping on a wood floor maybe we all would have understood the situation better.

I've raised this issue previously:  Asking very general questions like "I have a building to design; can anyone help me?" really isn't very productive for anyone involved.

Ralph Hueston Kratz, S.E.
Richmond CA USA