RE: Concrete floor on wood trusses

I second that opinion.

~~ Eli ~~

-----Original Message-----
From: Rhkratzse(--nospam--at)aol.com [mailto:Rhkratzse(--nospam--at)aol.com]
Sent: Tuesday, December 06, 2005 5:59 PM
To: mailbox(--nospam--at)sgeconsulting.com; seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: Concrete floor on wood trusses

You know, a lot of this ping-ponging messages back and forth could be avoided if the original questioner gave just a bit more information about their situation.  The question mentioned "a concrete floor slab poured on wood trusses," so I pictured sort of composite concrete-wood T-beam construction, which is obviously absurd and illegal  (Or maybe it reminded me of Bucky Fuller's suggestion to reinforce concrete with bamboo for low cost housing in tropical areas.)  If the question had mentioned concrete topping on a wood floor maybe we all would have understood the situation better.

I've raised this issue previously:  Asking very general questions like "I have a building to design; can anyone help me?" really isn't very productive for anyone involved.

Ralph Hueston Kratz, S.E.
Richmond CA USA