Re: Architect cheating on structural calculations - where's the building depa...

On Dec 7, 2005, at 9:30 PM, Sherman, William wrote:

It is true that nuclear projects have a lot of red tape, but in general the design checking that is required is well justified.
I didn't mean that anyone should infer that I'm against checking. I meant that most of the elaborate checking rituals, particularly procedural rituals, that are imposed in the name of engineering QA just don't work. My gut feeling is that they don't work in the main because checking isn't done in the necessary depth, or because the people doing the checking don't know what to look for.

I'm not sure what you meant by your statement "For cultural value, the meaning of checking and reviewing is universal."
I failed to check that. ;-> instead of 'universal' I meant to say 'universally mis-understood.'

Establishing better QA/QC requirements in our industry for the engineering and design work would be a major improvement - but there likely will be much resistance.
As I've said a dozen times, the QA requirements for pressure vessels, in particular mandatory third party inspection, could be adapted as a model. And probably would be, with the help of insurors who take the hit for bad design and construction.

http://www.skypoint.com/~chrisw/