Re: Architect cheating on structural calculations - where's the building depa...

Very tricky because what you're looking for is a means to ferret out the unexpected. Errors are easy to find if you know where to look. That's the fundamental problem--finding
something non-obvious that's not supposed to be there.

The start of a sensible performance requirement. It may need a little rewording to include the notion that is should result in a quality product, i.e. it won't cost more than it needs to or take more time to do than necessary.

Arithmetic checks are easy. Dimensioning errors and stack-up problems used to be easy to find ...

Some specific performance requirements that should be done, to which I add grammar and spelling. But that should never ever be considered what's needed to review; its can only be considered a superficial review.

Makes me think that the first requirement is that design reviews be done with a few people as possible, all of whom are senior enough to have made plenty of mistakes of their own.

I'm not sure about your suggestion on the quantity of reviewers needed. Quality is better, and such reviewer have to be independent of politics (office, chain of command, or otherwise), yet responsible.

Project post-mortems are really great tools to memorialize what went wrong as well
as what might have gone wrong in successful projects.

Yeah, but the first thing that happens when things go wrong is that the lawyers tell you to shut up, which ends up making such post-mortems very difficult to do. (There's that chain of command problem again.)

You can't rely on systems and procedures--checklists, meetings, process specifications, for example.

Flawed as this approach is, they are still needed; but they are only part of what's to be done. And sometimes procedures result in a product that can communicate such information in a concise manner.

I'm out of lunch time, so I'll skip to the bottom.

Unfortunately, the current approach is just like Churchhill's quote on how great democracy is.
Except for two things--democracy works and contains the means to fix itself.

True to a certain extent. If you can put up with how long it takes and the number of obstacles that have to be dealt with these days.