Re: Architect cheating on structural calculations - where's the building depa...

In a message dated 12/7/2005 2:57:48 PM Pacific Standard Time, h.d.richardson(--nospam--at)shaw.ca writes:
> A plan checker cannot be expected to catch errors on a complex project in
> a few short hours when that project has taken months to design, unless
> those errors are blatant. If a jurisdiction truly wants to have a
> structural plan check, anything less than peer review by competent equally
> licensed individuals will be flawed. A system where authority is given
> without accountability is prone to abuse.
For cultural value, the meaning of checking and reviewing is universal.
I too do not expect a plan checker to review a complex structure in detail. I do however expect a complex structure to be reviewed by a P.E. (of that department).
Most of the time residental structures are checked by non-professional (i.e. not licensed engineers), except when farmed out, but even that does not garantee a real "plan check" as I stated in previous postings.
I have found that most grave mistakes are not "drafting mistakes" but by ignoring  the very basic engineering principals and making catasatrophic assumtions.

Antonio S. Luisoni, SE