Re: Architect cheating on structural calculations - where's the building depa...

I am writing in defense of plan reviewers, up here at
any rate.  The code says that it is the responsibility
of the person sealing the drawings to ensure they are
correct.  As we are all human, plan review is performed
to try to catch possible errors or omissions-but chiefly
to check life-safety issues, primarly fire issues.  If
mistakes are going to occur, it is in this area as the
code requirements and language are complex and easy to
mis-understand.  The officials here say that up to 50%
of the drawings submitted contain errors, but I am not
letting them off either as code officials have done
everything to make the code complex, stilted, wordy, and
maze-like. Here, to understand the code, you have to read
the Code, the Appendices, the Illustrated Guide and the
Supplementary Guidelines.
Gary

On 7 Dec 2005 at 21:27, ASQENGG2(--nospam--at)aol.com wrote:

> Hey, you bastards don't call names.  That's my opinion and I didn't
> call you names.  Actually I'm just talking about plan checkers that
> does not even know how to plan check or does not even do the plan
> checking.  You only spend a couple of hours to plan check a medium
> size residence by comparing the results on the calculations with that
> of the  framing plans. Most of the plan checkers are doing their job
> very  well but what piss me off  are those that will not spend time to
>  review the drawings and the calcs and then approved the drawings like
> there  are no errors at all.  I know that I should get most of the
> responsibility  plan but checkers should also their part as well.  If,
> as I  said before, the plan checkers don't have a degree of
> responsibility then  they will just approve the drawings without plan
> checking it. Checking the most  critical portion of the project or
> just minor things so that there is a  chance for the drawings to
> comeback is good enough for me  .  There are times that you need to
> submit about 90% of the  drawings done because of time constraint and
> almost everybody is doing  that.  There are engineers that are worse
> by submitting half done. So what  I need is just a some plan checking
> on the part of plan checker. Is that  asking too much?
>
> ASQuilalaJr., P.E.
>

> In a message dated 12/07/05 9:47:45 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
> ASLCSE(--nospam--at)aol.com writes:
>

> In a message dated 12/7/2005 4:15:21 AM Pacific Standard Time,
> jatech(--nospam--at)kwic.com writes:
>
> “Normally mistakes  are done in the drafting sideâ€{WP12,157}
> And you think  someone else should be responsible for this?! Shame on
> you! Dave
>

> Very well said, Dave!
> Tony

AdmID:A585A542DA2A8F611B65700024385EB8