Re: Architect cheating on structural calculations - where's the building depa...

On Dec 12, 2005, at 12:00 PM, Michel Blangy wrote:

Legally, how long is one required to maintain records of calculations?
Michel
You should ask a lawyer. There are things like statutes of limitations on when damage claims can be made, periods of warranties. I keep all the important stuff permanently because a lot of it has cultural value. You want to remember that it's your professional reputation that's at stake here, not some minor point of law.

When a project is over, I'm inclined to clean all the scratch paper and redundant stuff up, but the I keep the PO's the correspondence and everything that documents the state of the job on the day I was paid. There's no point keeping all the scratch paper and notes that no one will understand 6 months after the job ships. Ambiguous records are worse than no records at all.

http://www.skypoint.com/~chrisw/