Re: concrete topping? on metal deck over timber structure.

The question I would have for the client would be "why?"  There would be additional time, mtl's and labor involved with the concrete o/ metal deck.  I don't necessarily disagree with your thinking, it's just redundancy dept of redundancy, you know?  Just a thought.
DT
Joe Grill <jgrill(--nospam--at)swiaz.com> wrote:
Recently there was a thread concerning concrete slab supported on wood framing.  Realizing that the code allows a concrete topping I believe not more than 4” thick, I thought of a hypothetical situation which is a bit interesting for discussion.

Assume a client wants to support a composite metal form deck (with reinforced concrete topping) with wood joists.  The total thickness of the deck and concrete would not be greater than 4”.  This would be a composite system therefore structural.  However, if the metal deck itself, due to the close spacing of the joists, can support the dead and live loads, then it really doesn’t matter if the system is composite or not.  It seems that although it is a composite system, it could also be considered as a deck with a concrete topping and therefore could be supported by wood joists.  Also assume for a moment that for some reason the deck does not need to transfer lateral loads as a diaphragm.

Any thoughts?

Joe Grill
Joseph R. Grill, P.E. (Structural)
Shephard - Wesnitzer, Inc.