RE: Informal Poll

I put in my basic agreement that any changes are a change in the scope and require an extra. If it is a phased job then it is anything past design development. I expect that I won’t begin work (again, explicitly stated in the contract) until I receive a stable plan from the architect. This has a three-fold benefit. One, it make the architect more careful about what he sends out, two, it makes sure I don’t get nickled and dimed to death and, three, I am able to start with a reasonable fee rather than a high fee intended to include future changes. Of course, in some cases I haven’t been asked back for further jobs because of this. But if an architect likes to get these services for free then my competitors will get screwed instead of me.

From: Bill Allen [mailto:T.W.Allen(--nospam--at)cox.net]
Sent: Thursday, December 15, 2005 9:40 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Informal Poll

I’m curious what the expectations of others are with regards to updated backgrounds received from architectural clients.

How many updates do you consider is reasonable in your basic scope of services before you think additional services are in order?

TIA,

T. William (Bill) Allen, S.E.

ALLEN DESIGNS

Consulting Structural Engineers