RE: Informal Poll

Title: Message

I bet the old timer is fighting the xref….

Here is how I do it.

I get the architectural background.

I trace over his walls and make my own file and make is A-Floor2.dwg, A-Floor1.dwg say for a two story building.

Then I do the roof plan. S-Roof.dwg. I xref in the background A-Floor2.dwg and draw my roof framing over the background.

Then I create the file S-Floor2.dwg. I xref in S-Roof.dwg which already contains the A-floor2.dwg background. I freeze everything from the S-Roof.dwg file except the posts/column layers since they pass down to the floor. I then make all the walls that go from the 2nd floor to the underside of the roof a continuous light line indicating that the walls sit on top of this level of framing I’m about to draw. The walls that go from the first floor to the underside of the second floor, I modify their layers in from the X-ref file so they are dashed and bold indicating possible bearing wall locations below the current level I’m drawing.

The benefit to this is that I have the bare bones background (walls, maybe gridlines, maybe room tag id’s), that I can easily overlay the new cluttered backgrounds the architect sends me and easily see the changes. I then just stretch my background however I need to matching the current architectural background….

The xref (with nested x-ref’s) from floor to floor keeps the post locations accurate so it’s less likely that I’ll forget to add 2 story posts, add a transfer girder under a post, or add in a hold-down in the middle of a first floor shearwall because it is tie down for a upper floor wall that ends above the middle of the lower wall…. It basically just keeps you honest.

-gm