From: "Nuttall, Davin J." <dnuttall(--nospam--at)somervilleinc.com>
To: <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
Subject: Cold Weather Reinf. Masonry
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 10:21:54 -0600

List,

I was wondering what the other engineers here on this list do regarding the installation of cold weather reinforced masonry?

I am familiar with tenting, temporary heating, and specification section 2.3.2.2.

My concern is for those REALLY COLD spells of time (around -10 to +10 degrees) when I feel heating the tented area for only 24 hours after construction does not seem all that long. Are the grouted cells in a 12" block, and mortar joints really hydrated enough after just 24 hours, so the site can then freeze solid over a weekend or holiday?

Am I overly concerned, or do others require additional time with the tented heat for the grouted cells to cure?

TIA

Dave Nuttall, P.E.
Green Bay, WI