CIP column design

Ashraf:

Sounds like it is time to educate your architect and perhaps your client.  Does the local code help make your case?

Our office did extensive analysis and research after the Northridge earthquake regarding the collapse of the new several story parking garage at California State University, Northridge, California.  Said Hilmy, Ph.D. (IDS) published papers with results.

You may want to use this work to help make your case.  New shear walls did fine.  Non-moment frame CIP concrete columns failed due to anticipated seismic flexure of the shear walls.

Sounds like your situation, before the Code here was changed here following the Northridge Earthquake.  I don't know about seismic activity nor wind loads in Kuwait.

As an architect, I have always enjoyed the opportunity to learn more about structural engineering (as well as mech., plumbing, electrical, etc.)

If you would like to see portions of the study, please e-mail me privately.

With Joy and Hope,
Bob Freeman, Architect
Structural Designer
Integrated Design Services, Inc. (IDS)