From: Paul Feather [mailto:pfeather(--nospam--at)SE-Solutions.net]
Sent: 15-Dec-05 13:46
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: Informal Poll

We typically allow as many changes as required until entering CD phase.

Once we start CD drawings, we require changes be clouded (no easter egg hunts), and as long as they are typical coordination changes do not charge for additional services.

We do not draft structural over Arch backgrounds, once CD phase starts we convert the Arch into our own and only update pieces, never global updates.  It is more work on our end, but is a good quality control measure as you have to physically review changes rather than pasting a new architectural into your sheet.  Structural drawings are stand-alone documents.

This way we also do not have to update with each new "issue" of architectural.  Some things can wait while we progress with what we had.   The problem with constant updates is you end up spending all your time chasing geometry and not being able to move forward.  We also require hard copy coordination sets at 50%, 75%, and 90% that are what we "work" from rather than always having to worry if we have the latest CAD file.

We rarely if ever charge additional services unless there is a substantial change in the project.  By requiring pre-set coordination times we can control the flow of constant updates. They can update every other day for all I care, we will only deal with it at set stages.

For architects, the drafting is the job; sometimes you need to educate them that we actually have an entire level of work that is independent of updating drawings.