From: Rich Lewis [mailto:seaint03(--nospam--at)lewisengineering.com]
Sent: 15-Dec-05 20:41
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Joints in structural floor slab

I am designing structural slab 80 ft. x 180 ft.  It is a suspended slab on drilled piers.  Supports are typically about 15 ft. on center.  I am investigating the need for jointing.  I have a 6 inch slab with #4 top and bottom reinforcing each way.  Since this is a structural slab I don’t see a need for shrinkage joints.  I was wondering what precautions should be taken to minimize shrinkage cracking of the concrete.  Also, would the 180 ft. span be too long for a single pour?  Would a construction joint be recommended?

Thanks for any insight

Rich