Re: Column design

Ashraf,

If you have a separate system for lateral resistance then designing the end column for moment is not necessary. You can even design the beams as simply supported and the columns with minimum eccentricity provided you detail them correctly.

If your column can not resist moment then the joint is considered hinge and as long as the beam is designed as simply supported then the beam will be able to resist the moment. As you have said the beam adjoining the column is designed with maximum moment, i.e. wL^2/8. then you are on the right track.

ASQuilalaJr., P.E.