RE: The 13th Ed. of AISC Manual

Sam –

Just wait until you try to make sense of the new chapter C provisions (Stability Analysis and Design)….  Honestly, this chapter reads as if it were planted by the concrete folks to discourage the use of steel in building construction.

Josh Plummer, SE

From: Szuchuan Chang [mailto:szuchuan(--nospam--at)gmail.com]
Sent: Sunday, December 18, 2005 6:28 PM
To: SEAOC; Sam Chang
Subject: Re: The 13th Ed. of AISC Manual

One conclusion I get so far is the 13th edition of AISC Specification is an equal-difficulty design for all  engineers who uses ASD or LRFD!

For example, specifications for bolt capacities are a total Greeks to all of us.  The "Fu" stress is out.  In with something called "Fnt" which carries a different kinds of values.

Gee, AISC's educational department must be so happy that all practicing engineers must be retooled.

Watch out,  may be we all get together and revolt against the 13th ed!

Sam Chang