RE: The 13th Ed. of AISC Manual

Hi all. It’s been a while.

>Sam Chang wrote:

>One conclusion I get so far is the 13th edition of

>AISC Specification is an equal-difficulty design for

>all engineers who uses ASD or LRFD!

I think you meant the 2005 AISC Specification. The 13th Edition is the edition number of the corresponding AISC Steel Construction Manual.

Change is a very personal thing. One person will love the same change that another will hate. We explicitly sought to minimize changes in writing the 2005 AISC Specification. This was exceedingly difficult when combining two separate documents that sometimes differed. I’m sure you will find things you like and things you don’t. I remain hopeful you will see more that you like. Please know that we considered every change carefully, made only those that were either necessary or so beneficial it outweighed the potential pain.

Also, I hope you have taken a look at the Basic Design Values cards. These cards summarize the design requirements for simplified analysis and design of all typical beams, columns, braces, tension members, and connections. They include design equations for W-shapes, S-shapes, channels, hollow structural sections (HSS), pipe, bolts, welds and connected parts—all in both ASD and LRFD. They are a free download here:

    www.aisc.org/2005spec

And there is also an article about them in the December issue of AISC’s Modern Steel Construction magazine here:

    www.modernsteel.com (click the link for the article “The New Math”) or go here: http://tinyurl.com/dbstc

I think you will see very familiar information on steel design in these cards. There is little that differs with any significance from what you are doing right now. In fact, if you use these cards as a way to get introduced to the 2005 AISC Specification, you may even find it so easy that you’ll want to start using it before the building code requires you to.

>For example, specifications for bolt capacities

>are a total Greeks to all of us.  The "Fu" stress

>is out.  In with something called "Fnt" which

>carries a different kinds of values.

This is not correct. Bolt strength in shear and bolt strength in tension are still both based upon the tensile strength Fu in the 2005 AISC Specification. The variable you quoted above is only necessary when you have combined shear and tension, which is covered as a reduced tensile strength Fnt, which is calculated from the tensile strength Fu based upon the shear stress fv present. Additionally, this is the same reduction approach from previous AISC Specifications with which you are familiar.

Check out the cards. I think you will find them helpful in guiding you to see how easy it will be for you to pick up the 2005 AISC Specification.

Charlie