RE: how thick steel angle ok for self tapping screws?

“How thick?” refer to the appropriate design reference (e.g. NDS or AISI) for that calculation, which is based on penetration into the “part not in contact with the head.”

“Labor intensive?” I don’t really think so. It may represent just a little bit more time for each connection, but the SD-ST screws are pretty fast. PAFs aren’t always so “neat” depending on how careful the “operator” is. In fact, some prefer pneumatic fasteners for that reason.

From: Haan, Scott M POA [mailto:Scott.M.Haan(--nospam--at)poa02.usace.army.mil]
Sent: Monday, December 19, 2005 11:03 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: how thick steel angle ok for self tapping screws?

How thick of a steel angle can #10 or #12 self-tapping screws be connected to?  I have normally seen people use powder driven fasteners for connecting stud clips to steel angles but have recently seen a detail using self-tapping screws.  It seems like it would be pretty labor intensive screwing deflection clips to a ¼” steel angle.